On February 22nd 2019 Justyn Comer presented one of the Breakout Sessions titled Meditation – A Dynamic Gateway for New Members.
The talk was approximately divided into three sections:
- An Introduction with the story of how the meditation program came about at St Peter’s Episcopal Church in Morristown, NJ and how it works.
- How you might go about implementing your own program.
- Justyn posed the question with a few different answers as to whether a meditation program could / should be considered Christian.
Following the talk there were several great questions including:
- How do you feel about guided meditations?
- How has the meditation program affected the church’s standing in the community?
- What about using meditation as a spiritual exercise for listening to God?
- How did you tailor your messaging for your audience?
- Are there any caveats or resources for using meditation to help people with a history of trauma?
- Can you comment on how psychology seems to have taken over the role from the church as carer of the soul?
- What do you think of “active contemplation” as proposed by people like Richard Rohr?
- How can we find out more about this and get help?
- How do people sustain their practice after a series of classes?
- Should you charge for classes?
Here are videos from the session.